Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Breakfast Ideas

Blog #4
Dennis Matzkin, MD
Previously I have provided you with a basic list of staple foods.  Today I will share our typical breakfast
My weekday go-to is one slice of Arnold multigrain bread...the one that has 5 grams of protein.  I toast this and spread it with one tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter. I wash this down with either hot coffee or tea.

A great alternative usually prepared by my wife is a Southwestern Eggbeater. This is sold in a small carton and consists of egg white with a zesty spice. The pan is sprayed with olive oil and the egg liquid browns quickly on both side. Placed on a toasted 100 calorie Arnold sandwich thin and spread with a touch of butter/margarine with pepper and a slice of tomato. It is delicious.

My wife's preferred morning breakfast prior to her work-out is a "green" smoothie
  • a half cup vanilla flavored almond milk
  • 1/4 of a frozen banana
  • frozen mixed berries
  • handful of baby spinach
  • scoop of vanilla soy protein powder
  • teaspoon of ground flaxseed
  • water to cover
  • packet of sweetener or 2 teaspoons agave syrup.  

Blend and enjoy!

Another favorite of ours is a slice of multigrain protein toast, a light spread of mayo/mustard.  Slice a hard boiled egg on top, add a slice of tomato, salt and pepper.

When we eat breakfast out we order egg white omelettes with peppers, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes.  Occasionally we will add a small amount of cheese. No potatoes/hash browns or grits - but we will each eat a slice of wheat toast.

If we have no time at all, we either grab a Luna bar or a string cheese and a few crackers!

Please post some of your favorite low carb, low calorie breakfasts for some new ideas I can share with my patients.

Read a future blog for some great lunch ideas.

3 comments:

  1. Great Post!! thanks for the awesome breakfast ideas..

    You should consider getting your own domain for this blog doctor!! I got my own blog and am getting much more followers. Something like DrMatzkin would be awesome...

    Looking forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. woops! I meant to write DrMatzkin.com

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the feedback! I am taking baby steps!

      Delete